The annual Slovak Day brings together well over 1,000 participants from Slovak communities in Ontario and other provinces as well as visitors from countries including Slovakia and the United States. The 1st District Assembly of the Canadian Slovak League (CSL) is organizing the 73rd Slovak Day that will be held on July 17th at the Croatian Club Karlovac park, 1860 Thompson Road in Milton, Ontario.
Keeping with tradition, the day will start with a Slovak Mass followed by a lunch consisting of traditional Slovak food that participants can purchase. Of course, there will be delicious Slovak desserts for sale and the cash bar will be stocked with Slovak beer and slivovica. Participants will be able to buy Slovak handicrafts and speak to representatives of Slovak businesses and other organizations. A cultural program in the afternoon will feature performances of Slovak music, song and dance. Afterwards dance music will be played and it is expected that the dancing will continue into the evening hours.
Slovak Day is a great opportunity for grandparents, parents, and children to celebrate their Slovak heritage and strengthen the bonds between these generations of Slovaks in Canada. It is a special time to show pride in our Slovak heritage by wearing clothes and hats with the Slovak emblem and waving our Slovak flags. Yes, we are proud of our Slovak heritage and we are proud of our country Canada where we have the freedom to showcase our traditons.
In closing, the CSL Board of Directors wishes the 1st District Assembly organizers and their volunteers a very successful 73rd Slovak Day.
Mary Ann (Hačková) Doucette
President, Canadian Slovak League
Community Short News
- Slovak Women's Ball Hockey team defends Gold in Canada
- The Board of Directors of the Canadian Slovak League
- Peter Kormos has passed away
- Read the Easter issue online
- Slovak-Canadian lawyer Sean Adams received a Diamond Jubilee Medal
- Greetings from KSL to Matica slovenská
- Canada tightens refugee claims from safe countries
- Calgary Slovaks on OMNI TV
- Next CSL Convention in April 2013 in Ottawa
- Congratulations to Bishop John Pazak